Donald Trump Claims He Will Be Arrested Next Week in New York
Former President Donald Trump has claimed that he will be arrested in New York next week in connection with an investigation conducted by the Manhattan District Attorney's office. The case centers around a $130,000 payment that Michael Cohen, Trump's former personal lawyer and fixer, made to porn star Stormy Daniels in the waning days of Trump's 2016 campaign.
Trump posted on his own social media platform Truth Social that he expected to be arrested on Tuesday in the criminal case. No facts released by the Manhattan District Attorney's office supported Trump's assertion of a possible arrest.
A spokesperson for the Manhattan District Attorney's office declined to comment. Trump's lawyer, Susan Necheles, said his remark was a reaction to media coverage. “Since this is a political prosecution, the District Attorney’s office has engaged in a practice of leaking everything to the press, rather than communication with President Trump’s attorneys as would be done in a normal case,” she said in a statement.
The New York Attorney General's office and the Manhattan District Attorney’s office have not responded to requests for comment. Trump's lawyer said the former president has not received a notification from the Manhattan District Attorney’s office regarding any potential indictment, but was “rightfully highlighting his innocence” in his post.
Law enforcement agencies at the local, state and federal level have been working to prepare the Manhattan Criminal Court for the possibility that Trump is indicted. However, Trump's spokesperson said there has been “no notification” of a possible Trump indictment other than news media reports and “leaks from the Justice Dept. and the DA’s office.”
Should Trump be indicted, he would be required to go through the same process as any other person charged with a crime, which includes being booked into jail, having his fingerprints taken, and having a mug shot taken. Given Trump's substantial ties to the community, including his 2024 presidential campaign, the judge likely wouldn’t deem him a flight risk and would probably immediately release him on bond.
Trump is also facing an anticipated indictment in Fulton County, Ga., where a district attorney has been investigating his effort to subvert the 2020 election, as well as a criminal investigation in Georgia over efforts to overturn the 2020 results in that state.
0. “DeSantis can't stop Trump extradition from FL to NY if indicted” Business Insider, 15 Mar. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-stop-trump-indictment-extradite-florida-new-york-2023-3
1. “Donald Trump calls for protests on Truth Social, claiming he will be arrested soon” The Washington Post, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-new-york
2. “Trump supporters in China rage against possible indictment” Business Insider, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/china-donald-trump-supporters-rage-indictment-new-york-2023-3
3. “Donald Trump says he expects to be arrested on Tuesday” Al Jazeera English, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/18/donald-trump-says-he-expects-to-be-arrested-on-tuesday
4. “Donald Trump arrest: here are the signals so far about what's really happening in New York.” Slate, 18 Mar. 2023, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/03/donald-trump-arrest-new-york-stormy-daniels-indictment.html
5. “Donald Trump claims he will be arrested Tuesday in Manhattan probe, calls for protests” Yahoo News, 18 Mar. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-claims-arrested-tuesday-123858994.html
6. “Trump claims he ‘will be arrested’ on Tuesday in New York criminal case” The Guardian US, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/18/donald-trump-arrest-stormy-daniels-
7. “What Happens Next If Donald Trump Is Indicted” TIME, 18 Mar. 2023, https://time.com/6264352/donald-trump-arrest-what-happen/
8. “Trump predicts imminent arrest, calls for protests” POLITICO, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-tuesday-00087738