Hunter Biden Files Lawsuit Alleging Invasion of Privacy by Computer Repair Shop Owner
Hunter Biden, son of US President Joe Biden, has filed a lawsuit against the owner of a computer repair shop, citing invasion of privacy. The lawsuit claims that John Paul Mac Isaac's actions violated Hunter's privacy, as he had not given consent for the information to be accessed or shared. During the US presidential elections in 2020, the laptop stirred up a political controversy, with Republicans asserting that it held evidence of wrongdoing by Hunter and his father. This lawsuit is seeking compensation for the emotional trauma and violation of privacy experienced.
Hunter Biden's attorneys allege that Mac Isaac opposed the presidential candidacy of Hunter’s father, Joe Biden, and that he gave Hunter Biden’s data to “political enemies” to help then-President Donald Trump in 2020. The lawsuit is calling for Mac Isaac and anyone else who has possession of Hunter Biden's data to surrender any copies they may have, as well as to have a jury trial to decide the amount of financial compensation.
Hunter Biden's legal team has taken an aggressive approach against top Trump allies, filing a countersuit regarding the alleged dissemination of Biden’s electronic data and notifying a federal judge of their intention to seek depositions from Steve Bannon and Rudy Giuliani. The lawsuit also seeks to depose Guo Wengui, a Bannon associate who was allegedly involved in the dissemination of Hunter Biden’s electronic data. On Wednesday, Guo was taken into custody by federal law enforcement in New York due to various accusations connected to an alleged $1 billion fraud scheme. He denied the charges and entered a plea
The suit marks Hunter Biden’s first legal filing since his laptop became a point of interest, and it reflects a newly aggressive approach by a legal team that Hunter Biden put in place in recent months. The team had previously sent criminal referrals and cease-and-desist notices to various people, but this is the first time the attorneys have formally gone into court.
Hunter Biden is seeking the return of any copy of his data, compensatory and punitive damages for Mac Isaac’s “willful, wanton and reckless conduct,” as well as reimbursement of attorneys fees. Ronald Poliquin, the lawyer for Mac Isaac, stated he was examining Biden's assertions and would “respond appropriately in court.“
0. “Hunter Biden Sues John Paul Mac Isaac Over Laptop Leak” New York Magazine, 17 Mar. 2023, https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/03/hunter-biden-sues-john-paul-mac-isaac-over-laptop-leak.html
1. “Hunter Biden Sues Laptop Repair Shop Owner John Paul Mac Isaac Citing Invasion of Privacy” LatestLY, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.latestly.com/socially/world/just-in-hunter-biden-sues-computer-repair-shop-owner-over-laptop-citing-invasion-of-latest-tweet-by-disclose-tv-4959697.html
2. “Hunter Biden files counterclaims against computer repairman over handling of infamous laptop” The Pulse of NH, 17 Mar. 2023, https://thepulseofnh.com/news/national-news/hunter-biden-files-counterclaims-against-computer-repairman-over-handling-of-infamous-laptop/
3. “Hunter Biden Pushes Back Again: Sues Owner Of Repair Store Over Alleged Laptop Leak” Forbes, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2023/03/17/hunter-biden-pushes-back-again-sues-owner-of-repair-store-over-alleged-laptop-leak
4. “Hunter Biden sues computer repair shop for privacy invasion” WWAY NewsChannel 3, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.wwaytv3.com/hunter-biden-sues-computer-repair-shop-for-privacy-invasion/
5. “Hunter Biden sues computer repair shop owner accused of leaking laptop contents” The Independent, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/hunter-biden-laptop-lawsuit-trump-b2303055.html
6. “Hunter Biden's lawyers mount legal offensive against Trump allies over laptop data” AOL, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.aol.com/news/hunter-bidens-lawyers-mount-legal-135300528.html
7. “Hunter Biden files response against computer repair shop owner” POLITICO, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/17/hunter-biden-files-suit-against-computer-shop-repair-owner-00087606
8. “Hunter Biden sues laptop repair shop owner, citing invasion of privacy” The Washington Post, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/17/hunter-biden-lawsuit-computer-repairman
9. “‘Egregious violation': Hunter Biden sues computer repairman who gave laptop data to Trump allies” msnNOW, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/egregious-violation-hunter-biden-sues-computer-repairman-who-gave-laptop-data-to-trump-allies/ar-AA18L9DG