It’s an unprecedented situation: former President Donald Trump could be arrested as early as next we…
It’s an unprecedented situation: former President Donald Trump could be arrested as early as next week in connection with a hush money payment to adult film actress Stormy Daniels during his 2016 presidential campaign. The Manhattan District Attorney’s office is expected to bring criminal charges against Trump, possibly as early as Tuesday.
In anticipation of Trump’s arrest, local, state and federal law enforcement and security agencies are making preparations. According to five senior officials familiar with the discussions, the agencies involved include the NYPD, New York State Court Officers, the U.S. Secret Service, the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. All have declined to comment.
Trump has denied any wrongdoing in connection with the payment, and his lead defense attorney Susan Necheles has said Trump’s claims are “based on media reports.” House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has called for a Congressional inquiry into the Manhattan district attorney, and Trump’s supporters have denounced the investigation as politically motivated.
The payments, totaling $130,000, were made by Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen, who pleaded guilty to federal charges in 2018. Trump has never been charged over his role.
If Trump is charged, he would have to go through the same legal process as any other individual, which would involve booking into jail, fingerprinting, and having a mug shot taken. However, given Trump’s substantial ties to the community, especially his ongoing 2024 presidential campaign, the judge likely wouldn’t deem him a flight risk and would probably immediately release him on bond.
Trump has called on his supporters to “protest, protest, protest,” but unlike the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, which was organised openly across social media platforms, discussion of Trump’s potential arrest has largely revolved around denouncing the Manhattan district attorney’s investigation and echoing similar inflammatory and dramatic rhetoric about the state of the US.
It’s only one of several potential Trump prosecutions in the works, as the former president and 2024 GOP candidate calls for protests to “take our nation back.” The agencies involved are reportedly making precautionary measures, though no charges have been filed. If Trump is indicted, it would be the first time in American history a former president has been arrested.
0. “NYC Security Preps Underway for Possible Trump Indictment as Soon as Next Week: Sources” NBC New York, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigations/nyc-security-preps-underway-for-possible-trump-indictment-as-soon-as-next-week-sources/4160387/
1. “New York State Police monitoring Capitol in light of Donald Trump's social media post” NEWS10 ABC, 19 Mar. 2023, https://www.news10.com/top-stories/new-york-state-police-monitoring-capitol-in-light-of-donald-trumps-social-media-post/
2. “Donald Trump calls for protests on Truth Social, claiming he will be arrested soon” The Washington Post, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-new-york
3. “Looming Trump charges threaten to inject chaos into 2024 campaign” Axios, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.axios.com/2023/03/15/trump-indictment-charges-manhattan-2024
4. “Trump predicts imminent arrest, calls for protests” POLITICO, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-tuesday-00087738
5. “What Happens Next If Donald Trump Is Indicted” TIME, 18 Mar. 2023, https://time.com/6264352/donald-trump-arrest-what-happen/
6. “Trump says he expects to be arrested Tuesday as New York law enforcement prepares for possible indictment” CNN, 19 Mar. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/18/politics/donald-trump-manhattan-da-arrest-protests/index.html
7. “Trump news – live: Donald Trump ‘expects to be arrested on Tuesday’ as potential indictment looms” The Independent, 19 Mar. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-indicted-arrested-stormy-daniels-lawyer-b2303773.html
8. “Trump’s Coming Arrest: We Answer the Questions You Were Scared to Ask” Rolling Stone, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/donald-trump-stormy-daniels-arrest-explained-1234699681