Larry Brock Sentenced to 24 Months for Capitol Riot Crimes
On Friday, the U.S. Department of Justice released a statement announcing the sentencing of Larry Brock, 55, of Grapevine, Texas, to 24 months in prison for the felony count of obstruction of an official proceeding. Brock was also sentenced to 18 months in prison for five misdemeanors – entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly and disruptive conduct in a Capitol Building; entering and remaining on the floor of Congress; disorderly conduct in a Capitol Building, and parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol Building. All sentences are to run concurrently.
According to prosecutors, Brock had entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, during the insurrection and wandered around the Senate chamber for eight minutes, rifling through senators’ desks while wearing a helmet, tactical vest and carrying plastic flex-cuffs he found in the Rotunda that day. He was inside the Capitol for approximately 37 minutes. During that time, he was reportedly heard shouting “drag them out,” “pull the cops out,” and “fight for Trump.” He also used a Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Oleoresin Capsicum device against officers within the tunnel area, urging other rioters to use a ladder to break into a window, and handed another rioter what looked to be a table/desk leg; that object was used to assault police officers.
In the 26 months since Jan. 6, 2021, the Department of Justice states that at least 1,000 people have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the insurrection, including more than 320 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, and the investigation is continuing.
The U.S. Attorney's Office requested 78 months of incarceration and three years of supervised release for Stevens, who was one of the leading figures in a group of rioters that for more than 90 minutes tried to overpower officers guarding the entrance to the Lower West Terrace Tunnel and force their way into the Capitol building. Ultimately, he was sentenced to 60 months, or five years, behind bars with two years of supervised release after his prison term is up.
Additionally, 61-year-old Todd Tilley pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of parading, demonstrating, or picketing inside a Capitol building.
0. “Retired lieutenant colonel in Air Force sentenced to 24 months in prison for Jan. 6 participation” UPI News, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2023/03/17/january-6-rioter-sentenced-24-months/6251679081885
1. “Former Air Force Lt. Colonel Sentenced On Jan. 6 Charges” Black Star News, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.blackstarnews.com/us-politics/justice/former-air-force-lt-colonel-sentenced-on-jan-6-charges.html
2. “Texas veteran who entered Senate chamber in military gear on January 6 sentenced to two years in prison” CNN, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/17/politics/texas-veteran-january-6-larry-brock/index.html
3. “‘Especially reprehensible' | Retired Air Force officer sentenced to 2 years in prison in Capitol riot case” WUSA9.com, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/national/capitol-riots/retired-air-force-lieutenant-colonel-who-wore-combat-gear-into-senate-sentenced-to-2-years-in-prison-larry-brock-grapevine-texas/65-8dbfd80f-e691-4b37-a18d-662812b9610f
4. “Seffner man sentenced to 55 months in prison in connection to Jan. 6 Capitol riot” WTSP.com, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/regional/florida/jan-6-capitol-riot-seffner-florida-man-sentenced/67-84d6dda0-adb1-4503-94c1-b24263c7c80c
5. “Florida Man Sentenced on Three Felony Charges for Actions in Jan. 6 Capitol Breach – Defendant Used Chemical …” Sierra Sun Times, 18 Mar. 2023, https://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/index.php/news/local-news/44629-florida-man-sentenced-on-three-felony-charges-for-actions-in-jan-6-capitol-breach-defendant-used-chemical-spray-against-law-enforcement-officers
6. “At sentencing, a Capitol rioter offered up a laundry list of conspiracy theories” Boing Boing, 13 Mar. 2023, https://boingboing.net/2023/03/13/at-sentencing-a-capitol-rioter-offered-up-a-laundry-list-of-conspiracy-theories.html
7. “South Paris man gets a week behind bars and probation for role in Jan. 6 riot” Lewiston Sun Journal, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.sunjournal.com/2023/03/13/south-paris-man-gets-a-week-behind-bars-and-probation-for-role-in-jan-6-riot